Ordering and Arranging in OCD
Symmetry and order OCD is a subtype OCD that causes obsessive compulsive disorder. It involves excessive attention to how things are placed, arranged, balanced or placed. Someone with OCD symmetry might feel severe anxiety if they don’t see all the cans facing the same way. If things don’t go in the right order, they can experience anxiety and extreme distress. This can cause problems in daily life and put a strain on relationships.
Although it is classified as a subtype of OCD, symmetry OCD can be a common form. The prevalence of symmetry obsessions in OCD sufferers is estimated to be between 36% and 50%.
What’s Symmetry OCD?
Symmetry OCD, a long-term and treatable form obsessive compulsive disorder, causes people to focus on the arrangement or location of certain objects. Symmetry OCD is a condition that causes intense anxiety when someone encounters an item that isn’t aligned properly, incomplete, or appears to be in error. Symmetry OCD can also cause difficulties writing. Someone may have trouble writing lists and may rewrite many times to make it look perfect.
Many people like order and symmetry. We all have friends or family members who find it appealing. There are many people in our lives that we consider “neat freaks” and who love symmetry. Symmetry OCD is more than just a desire to have things neat. In an effort to achieve (largely impossible) results, this obsession with neatness and order often leads to a fixation on repositioning objects or re-performing tasks. Extreme anxiety can lead to disorder that has a negative impact on a person’s daily life.
Symptoms Of Symmetry OCD
People with OCD symmetry often feel anxious and stressed about their condition. People with symmetry OCD can become so obsessed about their symmetry obsession, they may spend a lot of time trying to find a way to deal. They may feel helpless or like they are forced to follow their lead.
Others might feel their need for order and symmetry to be perfectly normal and acceptable. This subtype of OCD is more easily recognized than other OCD types.
Common OCD obsessions with symmetry include:
- Extreme balance is required in all aspects, such as walking with equal pressure on each of your feet.
- You need to feel balanced. Pillows or books on a sofa or bed, or frames or books on a bookcase or table.
- Fear of losing an item because of disorderliness or imbalance
- Extreme anxiety caused by asymmetry
As with other types of OCD, people suffering from symmetry OCD may engage in compulsive behavior to try to stop unwanted thoughts, mental images, and urges.
Common OCD compulsions that are based on symmetry include:
- Feeling the need to trace along the edges geometrically symmetrical shapes or figures
- Handwriting errors should be avoided.
- You can write or type exactly the same number of words per line on every page.
- It is a pleasure to arrange clothes, shoes and other items in a neat way.
Overcoming Ordering and Arranging in OCD
It is important to seek the help and treatment you need if you suspect you may have symmetry OCD.
- Connect with a mental healthcare provider who is trained in obsessive compulsive disorder. The right support from therapist can make a huge difference in your life. The therapist will help you learn coping strategies to reduce your symmetry obsession.
- Make a list of all your OCD symptoms and take the time to write them down. Track how OCD affects you and how often you engage in compulsive behaviors. Track any other information that you feel might help a doctor and therapist better understand your situation.
- Look for a support group or reach out to someone you care about. Symmetry OCD can overwhelm. Millions of people have similar obsessions and compulsions. There’s no reason to feel ashamed, guilt, shame or embarrassment.
- You may consider medication as part of your OCD treatment program. You should consider consultation with a psychiatrist before taking any medication. However, medication should be used alongside therapy and not as a single treatment. Combining therapy and medication is the best way to treat symmetry OCD.
- Psychotherapy like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which focuses on being mindfully in touch with your thoughts and how they evolve, is the first line of treatment for symmetry OCD. This treatment is very effective for OCD and anxiety disorders, depression, as well as other psychological conditions. Seek help from online therapist and learn more about CBT and its benefits.
You must get the support from the best psychologist in India to manage your obsessions and compulsions so that you can regain control of your life. TalktoAngel, an online therapy platform is providing accessible mental healthcare which has changed the way people view therapy. All forms of OCD can be managed by licensed online therapists at TalktoAngel.
Visit TalktoAngel to talk to the best mental health professionals online. Regardless of your search criteria, you will find “Top psychologist in india” or “Online psychological counselling”.