Whether attending a formal gala or an elegant cocktail party, every woman wants to look and feel her best. When the occasion calls for a gown, finding the perfect dress that flatters your figure and fits the formality of the event is essential. With so many options in lengths, cuts, fabrics, and embellishments, selecting a gown can feel overwhelming. However, by determining the correct level of formality, focusing on styles that accentuate your best features, and ensuring quality and fit, you’ll shine at your next special occasion. In this article, you’ll discover helpful tips for choosing a glamorous gown for any event. By following this guidance, you’ll find a dress that makes a statement and allows your inner radiance to shine through.
Choosing the Perfect Women’s Gown for Your Body Type
When selecting an evening gown, choosing a style that flatters your body type is key. Consider the following guidelines:
- For a pear-shaped figure with wider hips and narrow shoulders, an A-line or empire waist gown that is fitted at the top and flows from under the bust is most flattering. This draws attention upwards and balances your proportions. Chiffon, organza or tulle fabrics with draping or ruching at the waist also help camouflage wider hips.
- If you have an hourglass figure with a narrow waist and wider bust and hips, a gown that accentuates your waist is ideal. Look for styles with a fitted bodice, belt or sash at the natural waist. Avoid shapeless, clingy or boxy styles. A sweetheart or strapless neckline will also highlight your curves tastefully.
- For a top-heavy figure, a gown with an embellished neckline, cap sleeves or straps helps balance broad shoulders. An asymmetrical or draped neckline and A-line skirt also give the illusion of balance. Avoid spaghetti straps, strapless or halter styles.
- If you have an athletic or straight body type, a mermaid gown or gown with an embellished waist detail will give you curves. A gown with draping across the bust and hips or a fishtail skirt flares at the bottom to create the illusion of an hourglass shape. An empire or princess seam also defines your waist.
Top Trends in Women’s Gowns: Styles That Flatter
Trends That Flatter
When choosing a gown, consider styles that accentuate your best features and downplay any areas of concern. Some of the most figure-flattering trends in women’s gowns include:
- A-line gowns that are fitted at the top and flare out to an A-shape at the bottom. This style slims the midsection and hips while still striking. A-line gowns are ideal for most body types.
- Off-the-shoulder necklines that highlight sculpted shoulders and collar bones. This romantic style is perfect for summer occasions or destination weddings. For women concerned about their upper arms, an off-the-shoulder gown with lace or mesh sleeves provides coverage while still being alluring.
- Mermaid or trumpet gowns that hug curves before flaring at the knee. This dramatic style requires a flawless fit but is a glamorous choice for women wanting to flaunt an hourglass figure.
- Beaded, embroidered or lace details that camouflage perceived imperfections while dazzling. Strategically placed embellishments on the bust, waist or hips help create shape and flatter womanly curves.
Accessorizing Your Glamorous Gown: Jewelry, Shoes and More
To complete your glamorous gown ensemble, you’ll want to carefully select accessories that complement your gown. Jewelry, shoes, handbags, wraps and more can all work together to create a stunning look from head to toe.
When choosing jewelry to pair with your gown, consider the neckline and details of the dress. For strapless or halter gowns, a statement necklace can be a gorgeous accent. Teardrop earrings or a tennis bracelet work well for drawing attention to your face and wrists. For gowns with an embellished bodice or neckline, keep jewelry minimal to avoid looking overdone. Gemstone jewelry in colors that match your gown or have sentimental meaning, such as birthstones, are always a classic choice.
The shoes you select should not only match the formality and fabric of your gown but also be comfortable enough for the occasion. Open-toed shoes, sandals or peep-toe pumps in luxurious materials like satin are popular for formal events. Kitten heels, wedges or low platforms may be easier to walk and dance in for longer periods of time. When possible, choose shoes in a shade that complements your gown, or metallic colors like gold or silver that pair well with most colors.
Wraps, Jackets and Handbags
For evening events, especially those in colder months, a wrap, jacket, stole or capelet provides warmth without hiding the details of your gown. Materials like silk, lace, fur and velvet in solid colors or with minimal patterns are stylish options. A handbag or clutch to hold essential items like your phone, makeup and money should coordinate with your gown and shoes. Keep these pieces in the same color family or metallic shade for a cohesive look.
Remember that obtaining the ideal gown involves more than just the dress itself as you get ready for your next big event. The secret to looking and feeling your best is to pick a dress that fits well flatters your body type and gives you confidence. There are endless possibilities to fit your preferences, whether your style is bright or modest, modern or vintage-inspired. Finding an occasion to get dressed up for is the perfect excuse to treat yourself to a glamorous gown. So shop with an open and adventurous mind – you never know which gown might end up being your new favorite.